Are you aware of what ailments dry mouth can cause to your smile? Dry mouth is a disorder also known as xerostomia that is the result of a decreased amount of saliva in your mouth. Here are a few facts about dry mouth:
– If you frequently have dry mouth, it may be an indicator of a rare autoimmune disease known as Sjogren’s syndrome, in which your body’s immune system accidentally attacks the glands in your body, including those used for creating saliva.
– Saliva is essential for your oral health because it neutralizes acids, washes away harmful bacteria, and helps keep your mouth fresh from debris.
– Even though dry mouth is not a disease, it is considered a medical disorder that can raise your risk for diseases such as gum disease.
– Signs of dry mouth include an increased risk for cavities, a sore throat, issues breathing or swallowing, and difficulty chewing properly.
– Dry mouth can be created by a variety of products, including as a side effect of several medications you may be taking.
If you are looking for dry mouth treatments in Boise, Idaho, Boise Dental Center - Michael Smith, DMD & Evan Smith, DMD would love to help. For a more thorough examination to determine which treatment will work best for you, you can schedule an appointment with Dr. Michael Smith & Evan Smith by calling our dentist office at 208-343-4986. Let us help you get a whiter, brighter smile today!