This Halloween, we understand if you might be frightened of ghosts or ghouls, but there is no need to be frightened of your smile with proper oral care. Overindulging in sweets all season long can accelerate tooth decay, and if you are not careful, you may be the one to get spooked this season, by a new cavity or two. Here are some hauntingly helpful tips to remember:
– Dispose of any extra candy lying around after the holiday, as you may find yourself eating it for weeks afterward.
– Be sure to remember that the longer candy is in contact with your teeth, the longer tooth decay can occur. As always, be sure to brush and floss.
– Avoid hard candy, which can chip teeth, and is difficult to brush away, or sticky candy, which can stick to the teeth’s enamel, and speed up the rate of tooth decay.
– Visit your dentist for an oral exam and professional cleaning.
– Try to indulge in healthy treats. Your sweet tooth need not be limited only to sugary snacks this season.
– If you have children, swap out their candy for toys they may have been interested in, as a way for them to enjoy the joys of trick-or-treating, but also to stop them from eating buckets of candy afterward. You could also offer a buyback program to the child, and offer the child money, or incentives, in exchange for their candy.
The experts at Boise Dental Center - Michael Smith, DMD & Evan Smith, DMD want you to have a safe and happy Halloween. If you would like to learn more, or need to set up an appointment, please call us to at 208-343-4986, or stop by our office in Boise, Idaho.